SUGAR PLUM FESTIVALS

Monday, June 24, 2024

Another spooky story from a Disneyland employee who worked within New Orleans Square!


New Orleans & Toontown Encounters
Submitted by Mike A.

I worked custodial from 2002-2004 and had some bizarre things happen to me. One night in New Orleans I was emptying the trash from the exit of Haunted Mansion (right where the escalator ramp takes you up). I came the back way down the employee stairs and saw an elderly woman in an antique looking wheelchair sitting in the hallway, I thought nothing of it and opened the door to where the trash can was. As I held the door open with my foot tying the trash bag I thought to myself “What was that guest doing in an employee only hallway? The park has been closed for a while”. When I turned back into the hallway not even 5 seconds later the lady was gone.
I was kind of creeped out but shrugged it off and went about my business. As the night went on I could not stop thinking about that woman in the wheelchair. It wasn’t the rental wheelchairs, this one looked like it was made of wood. I finished my shift and forgot about it. I used to hear tons of stories from coworkers about certain areas being haunted so I would always wander around the park exploring.


Disney is creepy when it is empty so I can see why people would have stories of being watched or have strange feelings. I remember sweeping the line for Roger Rabbit one night and out of the corner of my eye, I saw a man standing near me in a navy blue t shirt and black Dickies style shorts. I asked if he needed anything and when I looked up he was gone. I walked pretty fast all the way through the line looking for him and nobody was in there. Nobody was in there because Toontown was closed. It seemed like everyone had a Haunted Mansion, haunted bathroom, Tom Sawyer or Toontown story so I kept the strange things that happened to me to myself. I felt like nobody would believe me anyway.
A few months later I was talking with a woman that had worked there for a long time. Someone had committed suicide in the parking structure that summer so we were talking about deaths in the park and the possibilities of the supernatural. She told me a story about sweeping inside the Haunted Mansion at the bottom of the elevators after the park closed and seeing an elderly woman in a wheelchair, when she looked up to speak to her, the room was empty. ….

I thought to myself “NO WAY how familiar”. I didn’t tell her what happened to me but I had a lump in my throat and felt pretty creeped out for a long time. I was always curious about spirits and the supernatural but wasn’t sure I believed in that kind of stuff. I’m still not sure I believe in that stuff but I cannot explain who those people were or where they came from.


No comments: